Red onions have a high sugar content already, so when you slow cook them with honey and apple cider vinegar, they get even sweeter! Make this versatile garnish to enjoy on cheese and crackers, in a grilled cheese sandwich, atop burgers, or over roasted chicken.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 thinly sliced red onions (we used our 'Cabernet' onion)
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Fresh thyme leaves from 3–4 sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat butter and olive oil over medium to low heat. Add onions and cook for 20 minutes until translucent, stirring regularly so as not to brown the onions.
- Add remaining ingredients, and stir to incorporate.
- Cook down another 20 minutes until sauce thickens, and onions are dark.
Makes about 1 cup of caramelized onions