We are pretty sure you don't need a reason to add garlic bread to your menu tonight, but we thought we would give you 10 anyhow.
Besides its wonderful flavor, garlic has many healthful qualities. It has been used as medicine for thousands of years, and studies confirm its value to our health. Allicin is the most beneficial, active ingredient in garlic (Allium sativum) and the chemical responsible for its distinctive odor. Allicin's effects are greatly reduced in dried or jarred garlic and supplements. This is why fresh garlic is king for both health and flavor.
Garlic Health Benefits:
- Garlic can reduce hardening of arteries, lessening your risk of stroke, heart attack, and damage to organs due to reduced oxygen supply.
- Garlic helps regulate blood pressure, which also reduces your chances of heart disease.
- Reduce "bad" cholesterol (lipoprotein/LDL) with garlic, again reducing your risk of heart disease.
- Garlic can also help regulate your blood sugar when the stomach is empty, aiding diabetics and those of us that tend to get "hangry" before lunch.
- Consuming garlic greatly reduces tick bites, as ticks tend to avoid garlic lovers.
- Antioxidants in garlic can reduce cell damage from free radicals that contribute to the aging process, including Alzheimer's disease and dementia.
- Antibacterial properties in garlic fight infection, assisting our hard-working immune system, and for this reason it is being studied around the world for its cancer-fighting potential.
- Garlic is proven to boost virus-fighting T-cells, reducing the chances of catching a cold or flu and also reducing the length of time you are sick.
- Garlic helps to detoxify the body and helps remove heavy metals from the blood.
- Garlic is highly-nutritious but incredibly low calorie. It is rich in B6, vitamin C, manganese, and contains smaller amounts of a wide variety of other necessary nutrients.
Tips to get the most out of your garlic
- Letting chopped or crushed garlic stand for 10 to 15 minutes boosts the enzyme reactions of its health-promoting compounds and improves the retention of those benefits when cooked.
- Did you know there is no need to peel garlic if you are using a garlic press? Trust us, it presses through clean and saves you a step!
We all know that garlic has a place in practically every cuisine, but now that you know all the health benefits we hope it has a place in your heart (health).