Basil's aroma and flavors are intoxicating. It's no wonder that many cultures associate basil with love. One tradition states that if a man gives a sprig of basil to a woman, she will fall in love with him forever. In Haitian lore, basil is said to come from their love goddess, Erzulie, as an aphrodisiac. Take a cue from folklore and make this smooth, rich Tomato-Basil soup for your valentine. What a heart-warming way to show your love!
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound tomatoes (about 3 medium), chopped
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ¾ chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons basil, coarsely chopped
- Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add tomatoes and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, cream, and half of the basil, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour all ingredients into a blender and purée until smooth.
- Pour soup into bowls. Top with chopped basil, crusty Italian bread, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
What recipes do you make to show your love?