Flavored simple syrup can bring new life to your favorite beverages. And just like the name implies, it is so simple to do! Basil, in particular, pairs deliciously with strawberries and lemons. Try this basil simple syrup in place of sour mix in a strawberry margarita or as a sweetener to homemade lemonade. It's so refreshing that you'll be inspired to create your own drink recipes!
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Mix the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Add basil leaves and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Simmer and stir frequently for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Strain out leaves and pour into a jar. Store in the refrigerator for about a week.